How to Be Creative (Even When You Don't Feel Like it)
Creativity. It’s everywhere you go these days. From movies to shopping malls, social media posts to blogs even the teenager down the street can be a filmmaker if he gets his or her hands on a camera. It seems like creativity is becoming more and more interwoven into our society. You might be wondering how you can tap into your own passions and find out how to be creative again.
Business & Employment in the Arts states that Nationally, 702,771 businesses are involved in the creation or distribution of the arts, and they employ 2.9 million people.
Because of the surge in technology we are seeing the addition of new and creative degrees in universities that allow for students to graduate in fields that were not available 10 years ago.
But where does that leave those who feel like they aren’t as creative as others? Those that look at the “artsy fartsy” people with curiosity not feeling like they can or should try anything creative. Maybe you are one of those people. Maybe deep down inside you would like to awaken your creative side. You are wondering how to be creative but aren’t sure how exactly to do that. Here are a few ideas you can think about that might help you with how to be more creative.
KNOW THAT YOU WERE CREATED TO CREATE
God said that we (humans) were created in His image. That means that we were created with His characteristics. God created this world and everything in it with a thought and then words. He gave us the characteristic of creating as well. With a thought things can happen. Don’t believe things can be created with a thought?
- It’s a thought that got us on the moon.
- It was a thought that cured polio.
- It was a thought that harnessed electricity.
- It was a thought that got me writing this post you are reading right now.
So if you are doubting your ability to create. Just stop, drop and roll it out of your head. You have it in you because you were made to do it.
REFRAME WHAT YOU THINK CREATIVITY IS
Many times when we think of being creative we limit it to the pure arts like dancing, singing, painting and other fine and performing arts. But creativity is so much more! It’s not something that is specific to one area of life. It’s can exist in all areas of life in all kinds of ways!
- It’s they way that you approach solving problems
- It’s the perspective that you have on life
- It’s the way that you react to roadblocks
Creativity is by definition “the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns,relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms,methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination”
Creativity is the ability to go beyond whatever has been and use imagination to create what can be.
FIND YOUR PASSION
“Art isn’t only a painting. Art is anything that’s creative, passionate, and personal. And great art resonates with the viewer, not only with the creator.” – Seth Godin
Art is made possible through creativity. Creativity flows out of passion. So go on a quest to find out what you are passionate about! Find the thing that energizes you and gets your wheels turning and your imagination humming. It could be anything from music, to numbers, to technology.
If you need some help finding your passion here are a few questions you can ask yourself:
- What kinds of things did I love to do when I was a child?
- What problems in society do I want to see a solution to?
- What kinds of things make me feel energized?
- What topics could I talk about forever?
- Is there something that I naturally do without even thinking about it?
- What skills and talents come naturally to me?
- What is something that I want to learn more about?
DON’T BE AFRAID TO TRY
Creativity is a skill that gets stronger over time. Just like you need to work your muscles out to get stronger you need to work at being creative every day. Start with easy creative “weight” before doing the heavy lifting.
- Write a few sentences of a poem in a journal
- Think of some ideas to solve a problem in your life
- Take a basic class in something new
- Brainstorm out of the box ideas for a work project
- Go outside, lay down and stare at the clouds identifying what shapes you see
Get yourself used to working in new areas of your mind every chance you get. Creativity is a beautiful thing because it’s process is so unique to each individual. What works for one person may not work for another. It takes time for each person to develop their own creative methods. But after a while you will get the hang of it!